Monday, November 2, 2009

Tracy Chevalier: Girl with a Pearl Earring

One Word Summary: 5 Guilders
Last Words: A maid came free.
A Few More Words: I liked this story. The writing was fluid and gorgeous and simple. I'm not a huge fan of clever artistic posturing, and this novel is so unaffected that I'm going to read all of Chevalier's work. I can't stop thinking about Griet's hair. It's so odd and wonderful to me that woman (maybe man too?) can be two contrary things at the same time. And a mystery all at once. I remember learning in an art class that beauty of a drawing lies in the unfinished elements. You know partial circles and disappearing lines so that the eye has to fill in the gaps. I like that. Griet's hair fixes that principle in reality for me.
Questions:
  • What is wrong with Frans?
  • Why does Griet have sex with Pieter-the-son?
  • Does Griet even like Pieter-the-son?
  • Do men always get what they want?

1 comment:

  1. I have always wondered about this book. So thanks for the review. I think I might read it next. I'm in the middle of War and Peace for the 2nd time. I didn't finish it the first time because I was mad at the characters and the choices they were making. Hoping to make it through this time.

    ReplyDelete