Monday, November 2, 2009

Diane Setterfield: The Thirteenth Tale

One Word Summary: Sybling Rivalry

More Words: Ummm... I think I didn't really like this book. It's distinctly unpleasant and yet disturbingly compelling. It haunts me. It didn't turn out like I expected or wanted. Which is funny because the narrator and I both like clean fairy tale stories, and this one was upsetting and twisted. All I have to say is... poor cinderella.

Recommendations: You should read this book if you're in a miserable mood and would like to feel worse. I think my daughter can live a fulfilling life without this dose of reality. Really I hate to be mid-victorian, but I am and that's that.

People who liked this:
Anything by Torey Hayden
The Lovely Bones by AliceSeybold

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree completely with you. The book club in the ward did this last year sometime and although compelling, it was disturbing and something I could do without.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?! I loved this book! The dark, twistyness was great to go along with the mystery. I listened to the book on my ipod while I painted my house.

    ReplyDelete