Thursday, May 14, 2009

Chaim Potok: The Chosen

One Word Summary: Tzaddik
More Words: This is a work of genius. I even pulled out my pen and sticky notes to study it as I read, although I didn't commit anything to memory. I loved reading every word, and following significant words as they appeared through the story. I love how Potok used sight and sound to define his two main characters. I love how everyone blinks, but it means different things. I like Davey Cantor, whose only purpose is to show up with bad news. I love how the title is open to so many interpretations. I love how beautiful Potok's images are and I love the complete lack of superfluity in his style.

Study Questions:

  • Is the Master of the Universe as silent Danny's father or as effusive Reuven's father?
  • Is the World Cockeyed? How do different character define the world?
  • How does having a soul counter cruelty? How is Reb Saunders both cruel and compassionate?
  • Warfare and fighting language figure throughout the novel. What are Danny and Reuven fighting against?
  • In the beginning Reuven's father is angry and lectures him on the importance of listening. At the end Reuven's father is angry again for the same reason. How does Reuven change and remain the same?
  • Why does Danny want to study psychology?

Quote:

My father looked at me. " What did I never tell you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment