Thursday, March 12, 2009

Gayle Friesen: The Isabel Factor

I took this book off the shelf thinking it was by the same author as Nobody’s Princess. In short, I liked this book. I like stories about girls who grow into themselves a little bit, or a lot. The author is from Canada too. Her writing is very fast and smart. I think I’ll read her first novel, Janey’s Girl. It won two awards in Canada.

One thing I really like about YA fiction is that I can finish a book in a few hours*, not have to think too deeply**, grow up all over again***, experience a happy ending****, and still take care of my family. It’s perfect.

*Sometimes I skip whole paragraphs. Especially if I’m reading Meg Cabot, she repeats herself, like a teenager, a lot.
**I choose not to worry about the unlikeliness of some story lines
***with a minimum of pain and embarrassment
****except if I’m reading anything by MT Andersen. He believes in reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment