Thursday, March 12, 2009

Esther M. Friesner: Nobody's Princess

My mother-in-law (affectionately known as Mama Snow) really likes this book. I finally gave into her badgering and read it. Um, I didn’t really like it. I’m all for powerful female lead characters, so I should like this book right? Sorry. Well, it's about Helen, pre Troy and she certainly knows how to take control of her own destiny. She’s smart, strong, determined, kind… and beautiful. Although she doesn’t seem to know, believe, or care. About being beautiful. Is it true; are there people in the world completely divorced from their looks? Anyhow, Helen is almost perfect. Everyone likes her and her family is suspiciously functional. It’s annoying. On the other hand it was refreshing to read about Helen sans vanity and malice. I liked that she escaped into the wild and had some adventures. BUT (you were waiting for it, weren't you) I’m tired of reading about strong female characters that disdain traditional female pursuits. What’s wrong with sitting at a loom all day? Or doing a host of other 'female' activities that require skill, patience, artistry, and a lot of work? It’s fine to want to do something else, but I draw the line at dismissing people and their occupations simply because they are or it is too feminine (or masculine). Holy cow, I’ll get off my soap box… so I didn’t like the book, but bravo to the author for conceiving a non traditional Helen of Troy.

Incidentally I wont be reading the sequel, Nobody's Prize or some of her other writings (ie, Chicks in Chain Mail).

No comments:

Post a Comment