Monday, January 25, 2010

Tamora Pierce: Bloodhound

One Word Summary: Beka Cooper is a one man band
More Words: and for some reason that's not very appealing. What really bothered me was how tough and knowing everyone is, even the babies. They were all so tough and knowing and they had to make sure you, the reader, know it. I began to feel like the whole story was being carefully outlined so as I wouldn't miss anything. The dialogue between the characters read something like this:

~I'm so tough and I don't trust you. Come over here so I can smack you upside the head.
~Yeah, well I'm tough too. See my hidden knives, you shouldn't trust me. I might smack you upside the head with one. Here's some food. Now tell me who the colemongers are. The colemongers are bad people. They're going to destroy our country.
~I'm so tough I don't trust you. Thanks for the food. I can't tell you who the colemongers are, even though I know who they are and they're so mean to me. But I'll take you to their forge so you'll have evidence against them when you take them to court. And I'll even give you a disguise so you wont be discovered in their hideout. Give me some more food, or I'll beat you up. Have I mentioned I'm so tough.


I guess what I really mean is that the Pierce lacks subtlety and finesse. Yet I love Tortal. It's a fascinating world. It's so corrupt and tough. I marvel at how it sustains itself. It would make a great movie. Hey maybe someone will option these books. And Jonathan Rhys Meyers can play Rosto. Ha! Admittedly what keeps me coming back for more is the hope that some girl and some boy will fall in love, or at least kiss.


Quote:
You're both so adorable I feel a hair ball coming up. p534

Questions:
Can girls be tough and feminine?

Censorship:
It's a jerky thing to say, but really, I hope my daughter doesn't waste her time on these books. It's about opportunity cost.

Other Books:
Robyn McKinley entire Oeuvre

No comments:

Post a Comment