Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Patrick Ness: The Knife of Never Letting Go

One Word Summary:  Poo. Todd. Poo. Poo. Poo.
Synopsis: A boy and his dog go on a very long journey.
Criticism: I liked this book the entire I was reading it. There's one point in the story where one of the villians shows up again, and Viola says, "You've got to be kidding." I don't know if the author was trying to be all tongue in cheek, but I laughed. I liked the premiss. Space pilgrims settle a far away planet, fight with the native aliens, and are infected with a disease that enables them to hear everyone's thoughts all the time, oh and it kills all the women. Very Lord of the Flies. I liked the ideas Mr. Ness explored. Redemption. Gender Roles. Manhood. Choice. And I really liked the dog, Manchee. I didn't realize I was bored until I got to the cliff hanger ending. I didn't realize I was annoyed until I started leafing through book two and said aloud, "You've got to be kidding!" That's when I decided I hate villians that won't die and stories that never end. This could have been great.

No comments:

Post a Comment