Saturday, May 22, 2010

Louisa May Alcott: Little Women

One Word Summary: girl power?
Summary: The story of happy family.
More Words: I felt guilty shirking my duties to read this book! I liked it very much- despite the nauseating sentimentality and the nonstop moralizing. There is so much good in this novel. I'm torn between a desire to take notes and a desire to take umbrage. Did Ms. Allcott intend to write a manual on how to be feminine? Well, as they say, the wicked take the truth to be hard. I appreciated the tongue in cheek humour. Allcotts little quips and zingers added so much voice and personality to the narrative. And now that I've read Little Women, I'm almost reconciled to Prof. Bhaer. Almost.

Quote:
I'd have a stable full of Arabian steeds, rooms piled with books, and I'd write from a magic inkstand

Jo got little comfort from them; so she went up to her refuge in the garret, and confided her troubles to the rats.

Action List:
  1. Read Pilgrims Progress
  2. Write a thank you letter to Noko for giving me a copy of Pilgrims Progress
  3. Apologize to Noko for never reading Pilgrims Progress and for losing the copy she gave me
  4. Re-watch the 1994 film version of Little Women, with Christian Bale
  5. Write to PattiCake about how much I like Little Women
  6. Apologize for doubting her literary tastes
  7. Remember to tell her how much I enjoyed Meet The Robinsons by M. L'Engle

Penguin Classics

No comments:

Post a Comment