Monday, April 19, 2010

Jane Urquhart- A Map of Glass

One Word Summary: Diseases that begin with "A"
Summary: A man is found frozen to death in the snow. A woman grieves for him. And a young artist lets go of the past.
More Words: It was difficult to stay interested in A Map Of Glass. I didn't understand the woman and I felt sorry for Malcolm. I didn't care about Jerome. Then my feelings changed. How do authors work their magic on our perceptions? I liked this story. Andrew's 'memoirs' are ethereal like a fairy tale, the whole novel has a pleasant aftertaste that I've enjoyed for the past three weeks. I still don't understand the woman, but she doesn't frustrate me anymore. I pity Malcolm, and Jerome is still Jerome.
Questions:
I like the questions I found at BookBrowse:
http://www.bookbrowse.com/reading_guides/detail/index.cfm?book_number=1746

Quotes:
"I doubt it," said Annabelle, removing a ledger from the edge of Deveen Bog and watching the map slowly curl back into a cylindrical shape. "Nothing goes on forever." (p253)

Only much later in life was he able to realize that, even in a colony whose wealth was founded entirely on the slaughtering of wild animals and the clear cutting of forests, there were moments of pure magic. (p255)

His father had smiled. "Now that is the definition of avoidable difficulty," he said to his son. "Who but a fool would choose to live in such a wild, inhospitable place? No one but an Irishman would endeavor to haul furniture to such a grey, destitute, though"- he had admitted with an uncharacteristically dreamy look in his eye-" in certain lights, beautiful mountain." (p257)

No comments:

Post a Comment